Kayll Road Library, formerly known as Sunderland West Branch Library, was built in 1908-09 with funds donated by Andrew Carnegie, a famous Scottish-American philanthropist.
Carnegie paid for 3 branch libraries in Sunderland: Hendon, Monkwearmouth and West Branch (Kayll Road library). All are built in red brick a similar style (Edwardian baroque) as each had to follow a basic plan produced by Sunderland librarian John Alfred Charlton Deas.
Kayll Road Library (West branch) was designed by Sunderland architect Hugh Taylor Decimus Hedley.
The library was awarded Grade II listed status in 1990.
In 2017 Pallion Action Group developed a business plan to take over operations at Kayll Road Library. The plan included details to develop the building as a community hub as well as maintaining it as a fully functioning library. This bid was successful and Kayll Road Library re-opened it doors in March 2018.
In 2020, two part-time staff were employed to develop Kayll Road Library Community Hub into a thriving community facility, offering a wide range of services and activities the diverse adjacent neighbourhoods